Russia says video of US astronaut abandoned in space is just a joke
Russian state media claims the video was simply a joke.
· archived 5/18/2026, 12:39:45 AMscreenshotcached html Russia says video of US astronaut abandoned in space is just a joke Sections News Pay & Benefits Flashpoints Education and Transition Pentagon & Congress Off Duty Veterans Military Honor Subscribe Now(Opens in new window)Subscribe Now(Opens in new window)NewsYour MilitaryArmy Times(Opens in new window)Navy Times(Opens in new window)Air Force Times(Opens in new window)Marine Corps Times(Opens in new window)Pentagon & CongressDefense News(Opens in new window)Burn PitsFlashpointsAfghanistanChinaUkrainePay & BenefitsBenefits Guide(Opens in new window)Family LifeMilitary Pay CenterMilitary RetirementMilitary BenefitsMil MoneyDiscount DepotOff DutyGear Scout(Opens in new window)Military CultureMilitary FitnessMilitary Movies & Video GamesMilitary SportsDeadly SkillsMilitary RiderSpousesEducation and TransitionTransition Guide(Opens in new window)Pay It Forward(Opens in new window)VeteransMilitary HistoryMilitary HonorSalute to VeteransBlack Military HistoryCongressional Veterans Caucus(Opens in new window)Military Appreciation MonthVietnam Vets & Rolling ThunderService Members of the Year(Opens in new window)World War IHonor the Fallen(Opens in new window)Hall of Valor(Opens in new window)Create an Obituary(Opens in new window)OpinionEditorialsCommentaryMedals & MisfiresSpecial ProjectsInstallation Guide(Opens in new window)Battle BracketAmerica's MilitaryTask Force ViolentCFC Givers GuideVideosNewsletters(Opens in new window)Early Bird BriefMilitary NativeIHGLong-Term Care PartnersNavy FederalRegisVARIDESKWorld of WarshipsHome HQInstallation Guide(Opens in new window)Russia says video of US astronaut abandoned in space is just a jokeBy Sarah Sicard Mar 16, 2022The International Space Station is a satellite that can be seen by earthlings below. (NASA)A video released in early March depicting Russian cosmonauts waving goodbye as they leave U.S. astronaut Mark Vande Hei behind on the International Space Station is simply a joke, according to Russian officials.“The Roscosmos television studio jokingly demonstrated the possibility of Russia withdrawing from the ISS project—the undocking of the Russian segment of the station, without which the American part of the project cannot exist,” according to the translation of the video’s caption, The Wall Street Journal reported.Though Russian state-run media claims Roscosmos released the video on the messenger app Telegram, its origin has not been independently verified.Regardless, state media confirms that it will not in fact leave Vande Hei behind when the crew is due to return March 30, despite a Fox News report that claimed Roscosmos was thinking “with everything going on, just leave him up there.”“American astronaut Mark Vande Hei will return to Earth on March 30 aboard the Russian Soyuz MS-19 spacecraft, together with Anton Shkaplerov and Pyotr Dubrov,” Russian state news agency Tass reported. “Roskosmos has never given reason to doubt its reliability as a partner.”Still, as international tensions continue to rise over Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade neighboring Ukraine in late February, this video is ill-timed, and NASA astronaut Scott Kelly ― who served on the ISS for a year ― hints that such a display is a breach of trust after two decades of international cooperation on the space station.“It kind of enraged me that the country that we had been in this international partnership for 20 years would take the time to make a video to threaten to leave behind one of the crew members they are responsible for,” Kelly told The Wall Street Journal. “They agreed to be responsible for his safety, getting him to the space station and getting him home. For me, that kind of just crossed the line.”Roscosmos raised concerns about continuing to participate in the joint space venture after 2024 given the tough sanctions that followed the Ukraine invasion, Tass reported.“If, by the time our orbital station is deployed, we continue to live in this hostile world and the number of allies will be limited, then we will make it an applied- military station,” Roscosmos Director General Dmitry Rogozin said.Observation Post is the Military Times one-stop shop for all things off-duty. Stories may reflect author observations. About Sarah SicardSarah Sicard is a Senior Editor with Military Times. She previously served as the Digitial Editor of Military Times and the Army Times Editor. Other work can be found at National Defense Magazine, Task & Purpose, and Defense News.Share:Tags:russia spaceissinternational space stationcosmonautsastronautsMore From Observation Post‘Survivor’ winner plans to donate $1 million winnings to veteransMike Gabler said he intends to give away the entirety of his winnings to veterans causes.Russia to supply free sperm banks to troops fighting in UkraineTASS reported that Russian troops will be eligible to freeze their sperm for free.‘Jack Ryan’ season 3 ushers show into its anti-hero era Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" season 3 is fun if not an exercise in the familiar.New film covers Japanese soldier who refused to surrender after WWIIStream “Onoda: 10,000 Nights in the Jungle” on Amazon Prime VIdeo or Apple TV+.Marine recruiters, applicant stop jewel heist suspects at mallMarine recruiters and an applicant with a background in martial arts stepped in after hearing glass breaking near the recruiting office.‘The Pale Blue Eye’ is a truly macabre military murder mystery movie“The Pale Blue Eye” premieres on Dec. 23 and lands on Netflix Jan. 6.In Other NewsBombers necessary to deter and defeatA healthy and capable U.S. bomber fleet is vital to national security.House Speaker impasse hurting national security, vet lawmakers warnThe group is urging fellow GOP members to find a path forward on party leadership as quickly as possible.Veterans urge top House Republicans to condemn political violence Veterans, law enforcement officers, and others signed a letter calling on top Republicans in the U.S. House to publicly condemn political violence.New in 2023: Force Design 2030 update coming this springThe next annual update for the Marine Corps’ Force Design 2030 initiative is expected to come out in the spring.Air Force to consider advanced degrees in promoting midlevel officers"Advanced academic degrees will be considered but will not be a requirement for, or a guarantor of, promotion,” the service said.Featured VideoThe Dan Bullock Story, Part 2: Going to WarThe Dan Bullock Story, Part 3: Honoring sacrificeThe Dan Bullock Story, Part 1: Early LifeDan Bullock: The youngest American killed in the Vietnam WarTrending NowTroops entitled to 12 weeks of leave after birth, adoption of a childAn unexpected glimpse of disillusionment in Russia’s trenchesHow big will the 2024 military pay raise be?B-1s replace B-2s for New Year’s Day flyoverRockets hit US base in eastern Syria, no casualties reportedMilitary Times © 2022Military Times © 2022Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyTerms of ServiceGet UsSubscribe(Opens in new window)Newsletters(Opens in new window)RSS Feeds(Opens in new window)Contact UsAdvertiseGeneral Contacts, Subscription ServicesEditorial StaffAbout UsAbout UsCareers(Opens in new window)Jobs for Veterans(Opens in new window)