Connect with us

News

DOJ Served Trump With Grand Jury Subpoena for Classified Documents Months Before FBI Raid: Report

Published

on

The U.S. Dept. of Justice served Donald Trump with a grand jury subpoena months before the FBI raided the former President’s Mar-a-Lago home Monday, according to a right wing media outlet.

News of the existence of the grand jury subpoena being served on Trump months ago comes from Just the News, a website created by John Solomon. Solomon is a longtime journalist who in 2019 was labeled by The Daily Beast as “the Trumpian right’s favorite ‘investigative reporter,'” and the “Trump-friendly scribe” whose “Biden-Ukraine conspiracies were cited multiple times in the whistleblower memo.”

“Many of his co-workers are ashamed to be associated with him,” The Daily Beast reported, citing “his questionable reporting, which often seems specifically tailored to stoke the flames of right-wing paranoia.”

READ MORE: ‘Same Answer’: Trump Sat Across From the NY Attorney General and Pleaded the Fifth to Each Question For About 5 Hours

Solomon on Thursday writes: “Two months before his Florida home was raided by the FBI, former President Donald Trump secretly received a grand jury subpoena for classified documents belonging to the National Archives, and voluntarily cooperated by turning over responsive evidence, surrendering security surveillance footage and allowing federal agents and a senior Justice Department lawyer to tour his private storage locker, according to a half dozen people familiar with the incident.”

If accurate, that’s news.

“Very clearly not the intention of that John Solomon article, but it inadvertently reflects very well upon the Justice Department,” NBC News Justice reporter covering the DOJ, Ryan J. Reilly observes. “A subpoena was issued to the former president of the United States and it held for nearly three months, until Trump’s own team publicly disclosed it!”

READ MORE: Experts Call on Trump to Release Search Warrant and Inventory List as His Supporters Talk of ‘Civil War’

National security and civil liberties journalist Marcy Wheeler adds: “Here’s what propagandist John Solomon says FBI had reason to believe Trump didn’t turn over in the original 15 box collection of stolen documents: Correspondence with foreign leaders.”

She points to this section of Solomon’s article:

“The subpoena requested any remaining documents Trump possessed with any classification markings, even if they involved photos of foreign leaders, correspondence or mementos from his presidency.”

According to multiple news outlets, FBI agents carted away an additional 10 to 12 cartons on Monday, in addition to the 15 the National Archives was forced to travel to Mar-a-Lago to retrieve earlier this year.

Even Rupert Murdoch’s Trump-friendly New York Post on Tuesday reported a “showdown over the materials first erupted back in January when the National Archives said it had retrieved 15 boxes of White House records — including classified information — from Mar-a-Lago that Trump should have turned over when he left office. The feds took another 12 boxes of material on Monday.”

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment
 
 

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. The New Civil Rights Movement depends on readers like you to meet our ongoing expenses and continue producing quality progressive journalism. Three Silicon Valley giants consume 70 percent of all online advertising dollars, so we need your help to continue doing what we do.

NCRM is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. From unflinching coverage of religious extremism, to spotlighting efforts to roll back our rights, NCRM continues to speak truth to power. America needs independent voices like NCRM to be sure no one is forgotten.

Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Help ensure NCRM remains independent long into the future. Support progressive journalism with a one-time contribution to NCRM, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click here to donate by check.

News

GOP Congresswoman Defects From McCarthy as He Loses His Fourth Vote to Become Speaker

Published

on

House GOP Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) appears to have lost his fourth attempt to become Speaker, as one Republican congresswoman defected by voting “present.” 21 Republicans voted against McCarthy after a night of heavy lobbying and even Donald Trump urging conservatives to install McCarthy.

U.S. Rep. Victoria Spartz (R-IN) was the House Republican to pull away from McCarthy. The 20 Republicans who voted against McCarthy on Tuesday all again voted against him on Wednesday.

After Sparkz’s vote as “present” was counted, some Republicans applauded.

READ MORE: ‘Hope They Get Their Act Together’: Biden Says ‘Embarrassing’ How House GOP Is Making US Look Around the World

House Democratic Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries again received more votes than McCarthy, 212. McCarthy dropped one to 201. 20 Republicans voted for far right Republican of Florida Byron Donalds for Speaker.

The House is now beginning a fifth vote. McCarthy allies had been expected to begin the day calling for the House to adjourn, giving the embattled Leader another day to try to whip enough votes to grab the gavel, but Democrats made clear they would not support the move.

McCarthy losing another vote despite Trump urging all Republicans to support him is also being seen as a loss for the ex-president.

McCarthy “didn’t just get no new votes with Trump’s support, he actually lost a vote from his 202 total yesterday. Trump is as impotent as McCarthy,” said Moe Davis, a former Chief Prosecutor of the Guantanamo military commissions, and a Democrat who lost his bid to win a House seat in 2020.

Watch the videos above or at this link.

UPDATE: 2:05 PM ET –
McCarthy appears to lose fifth vote.

Continue Reading

News

McCarthy Allies to Call for House to Adjourn – Fox News Reporter Suggests ‘Trump’s Backing Failed to Move the Meter’

Published

on

Allies of Majority GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy are expected to call for the House to adjourn when it reconvenes Wednesday at noon, a clear sign that the California Republican still does not have enough votes to become Speaker.

McCarthy lost all three votes on Tuesday, and according to a Fox News reporter the expected move to adjourn is a bad sign for his hopes of grabbing the gavel.

“McCarthy allies may move to adjourn when the House meets at noon et,” says Fox News Senior Congressional Correspondent Chad Pergram. “This will require a vote by a simple majority. It’s unclear if the House would approve such a motion.”

Democrats are widely expected to vote against the move.

“However, a motion to adjourn is a bad sign for McCarthy,” Pergram adds. “It could mean he didn’t gain any votes & that Trump’s backing failed to move the meter.”

READ MORE: ‘Massive Erosion of Influence’: Gaetz Defies Trump – and Again Digs His Heels in Against Kevin McCarthy

Trump Wednesday morning directed all House Republicans to vote for McCarthy, in an all-caps demand on his Truth Social platform.

Program appears to be correct.

U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) says McCarthy is losing – not gaining – votes.

“I am hearing that the 19 are growing their vote,” he told CNN.

And U.S Rep. Ralph Norman (R-SC) agrees, telling Steve Bannon, “There will be more than 20 of us today” voting against McCarthy.

Watch videos above or at this link.

Continue Reading

News

‘Hope They Get Their Act Together’: Biden Says ‘Embarrassing’ How House GOP Is Making US Look Around the World

Published

on

President Joe Biden says it’s “embarrassing” how the House Republicans are making America look around the world, and he hopes they “get their act together” and elect a Speaker, after Tuesday’s round of three votes failed to produce a majority for any nominee.

GOP Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy garnered less votes than House Democratic Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries in all three votes. 20 Republicans are voting against McCarthy, which made Tuesday’s vote the first in a century where the House was unable to produce a Speaker in the first round.

“I really mean this: How do you think this looks to the rest of the world?” CNN reports Biden told reporters as he headed for a bipartisan trip focused on his infrastructure law, which will include Senate Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

“Coming out of, you know – the first time we’re really getting through the whole history related to Jan. 6, things are settling out, and now, for the first time in 100 years? I really mean it.”

“I know you know international relations,” the President continued. “It’s not a good look, it’s not a good thing. This is the United States of America and I hope they get their act together.”

The President was also asked, “How worried would you be if the stalemate in the House goes on and after today, about the ability of Congress and you to govern?”

Biden made clear it’s not his problem.

“Not me — Congress to govern.”

The President promoted his trip to Kentucky, where he will appear with McConnell, telling reporters it demonstrates “that we can get things done.”

Watch below or at this link.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 AlterNet Media.

1